At the end of road nestled into a small organic farming valley at the base of a volcano, lies the Mt. Adams Institute. And the start of your next life adventure. Mt. Adams Institute strengthens the connection between people and the natural world through education, service learning, career development and research. Our programs include:
- VetsWork: Environment is an eleven month career development internship program for Veterans, including those with Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and/or Post-Traumatic Stress (PTS) in natural resources management. VetsWork participants are placed at local/state/federal land management agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service where they provide project support while learning about various career paths.
- Wilderness Stewardship, along with its partner U.S. Forest Service, coordinates the Gifford Pinchot Wilderness Stewardship Group (GPWSG). GPWSG brings on-the-ground resources to management projects in the seven wilderness areas on the forest. Volunteer opportunities include wilderness ranger positions, trail maintenance and construction, invasive species mitigation and impact surveys. These projects vary in scale and commitment and are suitable for individuals and/or groups.
- Summer Outside is our youth/adult summer jobs program. It is for those that are adventurous, strong (at heart and body) and, above all, passionate about being outside all summer long. Positions vary in length and responsibility. The Forest Youth Success Program (FYS) provides near 50 summertime jobs for local youth that focus on natural resources management of public lands. Youth, serving on teams, engage in a variety of projects including: clearing hiking trails, removing invasive plants, assisting fish hatcheries and mapping boundary lines.
- Outdoor Adventures are educational programs for schools and students that immerse participants in the wonders of the natural world. Explore a cave. Paddle a kayak. Plant a tree. Sleep in a tipi. Run. Laugh. Sing. All outside. We offer single day to week-long adventures at our Base Camp or at your schoolyard. MAI partners with Cascadia Adventure Education School to deliver life-making experiences.
- Cascade Mountain School is a residential STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) program for middle and high school students and dedicated to cultivating individual responsibility and personal growth; fostering creation of community and understanding of the natural world; and excelling in scientific inquiry, systems thinking, and sustainability studies.
Mt. Adams Institute
2453 Highway 141
Trout Lake, Washington 98650
Phone (509) 395-3469